The first Korg nanoSeries controllers were released in 2008, and it created a new product category at the time: the ultra-portable MIDI keyboard, drum pad and mixer.
Several other manufacturers have followed Korg‘s footsteps, releasing rival hardware that will become the second-gen nanoSeries. Korg, however, refused to back down on the competition, announcing the nanoKey Studio and the nanoKontrol Studio, which are two battery-operated devices that can be used wirelessly. This is especially useful for owners with portable synthesizers.
The nanoKey Studio has 25 velocity-sensitive pad-style keys, which are also illuminated. These become useful when engaging the Scale Guide function. To make things easier for new users, the keys illuminate up the ‘recommended’ notes of a scale while the Easy Scale feature lets users produce musical phrases using any keys.
It has eight velocity-sensitive trigger pads that records electronic drums and chords. The Chord Scale function assigns the ‘best’ chords automatically based on the selected key and scale, which further aids the composition. It also includes a Kaoss-style touchpad with eight assignable knobs.
If the nanoKey Studio is designed for recording and creating music, then the nanoKontrol Studio is the right one for you, as it has eight channels of faders, knobs and buttons. There are also transport controls and a jog wheel.
Below is the product specs:
- 25-key Keyboard with velocity sensitivity (four velocity curve), 8 trigger pad (velocity sensitivity is supported, four velocity curve), 8 knobs, X-Y pad
- Octave + / – buttons, Sustain button, Touch Scale button, X-Y button, Pitch / Mod button, Scene button, Shift / Tap buttons, Arp button, Chord Pad button, Easy Scale button, Scale Guide button
- USB jack (micro B type)
- Bluetooth Low Energy (Apple Bluetooth Low Energy MIDI specification compliant)
- USB bus power (when connected via USB)
Two AAA batteries (when connected wirelessly; use alkaline or nickel-metal hydride batteries)
- Approximately 10 hours (with the factory settings, when using alkaline batteries)
* Battery life will vary depending on the batteries used and on the conditions of use.
- Less than 500mA
Dimensions (W x D x H)
- 278 mm x 160 mm x 33 mm / 10.94″ x 6.30″ x 1.30″
Weight (without batteries)
- 471 g / 1.04 lbs. (without batteries)
- USB cable, Korg Software Bundle code, two AAA Batteries for checking operation
iOS Wireless Connection
- iOS – iPad/iPhone that supports Bluetooth 4.0, and has iOS8 or later installe
- Models – iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad fourth generation, iPad Third generation, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPad mini, iPod touch sixth generation, iPod touch fifth generation
Mac Wireless Connection
- OS – Mac that supports Bluetooth 4.0 or later, and has OS X10.10 Yosemite or later installed
- Models – MacBook (Early 2015 or later), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or later), MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or later), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or later), iMac (Late 2012 or later), Mac Pro (Late 2013 or later)
Mac USB Connection
- OS – MacOS 10.8 10.9 Mavericks or later,
Windows Wireless Connection
- OS – Operating system: Windows 8.1 or later (32-bit/64-bit) [KORG BLE-MIDI Driver is required]
Windows USB Connection
- OS – Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 or later (32-bit / 64-bit)